Communicate. Connect. Commit.
Build a Strong Foundation for Success With Fundamental Leadership Skills
The importance of developing fundamental leadership skills cannot be understated. No matter their intelligence, experience or drive, leaders at every level need the same 4 core skills to be effective and grow within an organization. CCL calls them the Fundamental 4:
- Self-awareness: Understand your behavior’s impact on organizational outcomes.
- Communication: Effectively communicate goals and inspire trust.
- Influence: Be comfortable persuading, promoting and delegating.
- Learning agility: Know when to change course, and help others to do so.
The Fundamental 4 have endured the test of time, and are the basis for our Lead 4 Success® program, where participants immerse themselves in development, adapt these skills to their own leadership contexts, participate with peers in learning and share ideas to apply their leadership lessons to their real worlds.
Is this leadership program right for you?
L4S at a Glance
Leader Level: Emerging Leaders and Professional Staff
Program Fee: $1,850/Person
Length: 1:00-2:00 PM ET Day One (Kick Off) & 1:00-5:00 PM ET Days Two-Five
Average Class Size: 20
Instructor/Participant Ratio: 1:10
Delivery Format: In-Person/Live Online
Upcoming Dates: L4S is offered multiple times throughout the year at Eckerd College.
The program helps participants master four fundamental skills:
In addition, participants explore critical concepts such as understanding and enhancing their leadership brand, delivering effective feedback, developing political organizational savvy and listening actively within the context of a real-life leadership challenge.
”I really enjoyed the program! It was a great opportunity to learn new perspectives and tools to evolve as a leader. The activities were memorable and helped illustrate points, and the table conversations and 1-on-1 allowed for deeper discussion and sharing of real world, personal examples.Eckerd College Lead 4 Success Participant
This robust experience represents the essence of the Center for Creative Leadership’s renowned leadership content. Using a time-tested approach to leadership development, we incorporate:
- Experiential activities to learn through doing;
- A safe environment for all participants to try new behaviors;
- Peer-based learning and networking opportunities; and
- Proven leadership models from the top-ranked Center for Creative Leadership.
L4S In-Person – Three-Phase Approach to Learning
This comprehensive three-phase approach to learning includes a pre-program self-assessment, intensive “classroom” training, experiential learning and application back in the workplace.
1. Prepare—Getting Started
Prior to attending, participants complete the Lead 4 Success Assessment.
2. Engage—In-Person or Live Online Classroom Experience
Day One – Leading Yourself
- Self-Awareness: How do I use the principles of self-awareness to make conscious decisions about my leadership behavior?
- Learning Agility: How do I continuously seek, make sense of, internalize and apply lessons from a variety of resources?
Day Two – Leading Others
- Influence: How do I increase my leadership influence by building trust and leadership networks to lead others?
- Communication: How do I use active listening, feedback and vision to provide sound direction, firm alignment and dedicated commitment?
3. Apply—Sustain Your Learning
Accountability partner sessions are scheduled following the program to sustain momentum and promote follow-through on learning goals set during the program.
The L4S Live Online
Prior to the beginning of the course, there will be a 45-minute Live Online Kick-Off session.
- Program Introduction
- Learning Agility
- Program Close
WHITE PAPER: Driving Performance: How Leadership Development Powers Success
Why invest in leadership development? Learn all the reasons it’s worth it for driving performance at your organization.
The program includes many special features, such as:
- Key Leadership Challenge: Use real-world applications of the fundamental four skills to a current leadership challenge.
- Personal Leadership Map: Increase self-awareness and goal attainment throughout the program.
- Lead 4 Success Assessment: Benchmark 80 behaviors critical to leader development.
- Interactive Role Plays: Practice key skills with other leaders in realistic, challenging scenarios.
- Experiential Exercises: Accelerate development using hands-on collaborative team activities to build self-awareness, learning agility, influence and communication.
Who Should Attend Lead 4 Success?
The Program is Ideal For:
- Emerging leaders with no direct reports, but on the path to leadership in the next 12 to 18 months;
- First-time managers who have been in role for 6 to 12 months;
- Leaders with 3 to 5 years of experience leading others;
- Participants who want an intensive focus on the fundamental four competencies critical for all levels of leadership; and
- Leaders who desire a compact yet compelling experience designed to enhance effectiveness in the workplace.
Why Lead 4 Success at Eckerd College?
Reputation of Excellence
- Eckerd College Leadership Development Institute (LDI) has been a Network Associate of the renowned global training provider Center for Creative Leadership (CCL) since 1981 and has delivered internationally acclaimed programs to thousands of local, national and international clients.
- Since its inception, LDI has enjoyed a reputation for excellence and quality in education and training.
- Our senior faculty team consists of highly trained and experienced professionals with diverse business and academic backgrounds. They are content experts with advanced degrees and coaching credentials and are trained to work closely and collaboratively with individual leaders and within their organizational structures.
Why Attendees Chose Eckerd
Top Ranked Institution and World-Renowned Executive Education
- Eckerd College is one of The Princeton Review’s Best 387 Colleges (2022), a member of Phi Beta Kappa and one of 40 schools featured in the book Colleges That Change Lives.
- In addition to our designation as a CCL Network Associate, LDI is an Education Partner of the international association, the Society of Human Resource Management.
- Eckerd’s Certified Workplace Mediator and Trainer (CMT) program is accredited by the International Mediation Institute.
- LDI’s proprietary assessments the Conflict Dynamics Profile (CDP) and Entrepreneurial Mindset Profile (EMP) are utilized globally by over +4000 certified practitioners
The Right Climate for Learning
- Eckerd College provides a world-class program in a world-class setting. The climate we’ve created for learning—one that is stimulating and challenging, yet relaxed and open-minded—is enhanced by our sunny, Florida location.
- The retreat-style setting of our waterfront training facility allows participants to escape the everyday rigors of work and focus on their professional development in a safe and supportive learning environment.
- In addition to Downtown St. Petersburg’s thriving arts, recreation and culinary scene complemented by the white sandy beaches of Florida’s Gulf Coast, our proximity to Tampa, Clearwater, Sarasota and Orlando make Eckerd College LDI a key destination for business travelers and their families.
High-Quality, Assessment-Based Program Content
- Rich, research-based content is focused on what matters most for first-time and front-line managers.
- Intense, personalized feedback gives participants an assessment of important competencies and a plan for learning.
- The interactive, hands-on format prepares participants to take action back at work. Coaching and take-home tools support newly enhanced skills of influencing, conflict resolution and communication.
- Participants consistently rate LDI programs 4.8 or higher on a 5-point scale in both value and enjoyment. Often, the ratings don’t even fully reflect the impact our programs have had on the individual lives and careers of attendees who have participated in LDI programs at Eckerd College.
- Low instructor/participant ratio: 1:12.
Please note that all registrations are subject to LDI’s Refund Policy and Transfer & Substitution Policy.
Travel Information & Program Materials
- Eckerd College’s Location and Details on Travel Arrangements
- Proper Dress Attire for the Program
- Program Assessments and Pre-Work