Manage. Mediate. Master.
Research indicates that managing conflict is one of the most common development needs of leaders and managers. This finding is not surprising given how pervasive conflict is and how detrimental unresolved conflict can be for individuals, teams and organizations. Through a variety of teaching techniques including micro-lectures, simulations, group exercises, personal feedback and one-on-one coaching, the Mastering Conflict Dynamics (MCD) program helps participants to address conflict with comfort and confidence.
MCD at a Glance
Leader Level: All Leader Levels
Program Fee: $2,200/Person
Length: 3 Days if In Person or 4 Half Days if Live Online
Average Class Size: 20
Instructor/Participant Ratio: 1:10
Delivery Format: Live Online & In Person
Upcoming Dates: MCD is offered multiple times throughout the year at Eckerd College.
”The Mastering Conflict Dynamics program is a hands-on, interactive session with skill-building techniques that can be put to immediate use. I successfully used the skills I learned in a negotiation for promotion one week after the program! I highly recommend this course to any manager dealing with teams of different individuals in any work environment.Dr. Dale KummerleRegional Medical Affairs Director Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.
During this program, participants will
- Understand the value of conflict and examine the barriers and bridges to effective conflict resolution;
- Receive feedback regarding behaviors during times of conflict;
- Learn and practice skills for resolving conflict effectively – gain insights for managing emotions in tense situations;
- Recognize how style differences contribute to misunderstandings;
- Increase creativity and productivity by cultivating the positive aspects of conflict – build a climate of trust and cooperation among coworkers;
- Develop action plans for increased effectiveness;
- Participate in a one-on-one personal coaching session; and
- Apply program content to actual organizational concerns.
The Conflict Dynamics Profile® (CDP) provides comprehensive feedback on how participants perceive themselves responding to conflict, how others view them, what behaviors are perceived to be more effective and which of their responses have the most potential to damage their careers within an organization.
A one-on-one personal coaching session during the program helps participants understand and interpret data from the CDP and two other powerful assessment tools. Plus, a one-hour post-program coaching session helps participants apply and sustain their learning.
Video recorded role-play sessions provide an opportunity to apply behaviors and concepts learned throughout the program to real-life scenarios. Facilitated video reviews generate practical tips for successful conflict resolution.
Peer learning provides opportunities for feedback, insight, suggestions and support.
6 Tips for Leading Through Conflict
Sometimes, though, conflict in the workplace can’t be avoided. When that happens, you’ll need to show leadership through it. Here are our 6 tips for leading through conflict.
The MCD In Person
Discovering Your Impact During Times of Conflict and Preparing for Difficult Conversations
- Experience the power of trust
- Discover your impact on others: Conflict Dynamics Profile® feedback
- Enhance your listening skills
- Practice constructive conflict behaviors: video recorded vignettes
Solving Team Conflict
- Appreciate the significance of style
- Solve team conflict
- Learning actual challenges: video taped conflict real plays
Sustaining Your Conflict Competence
- Leverage your strengths in conflict
- Utilize creativity to address everyday challenges
- Consult with a personal executive coach
- Integrate and planning
The MCD Live Online
Discovering Your Impact During Times of Conflict
- Select Relevant Conflict Quotes
- Recognize the Costs of Conflict
- Review the Conflict Dynamics Profile® Feedback
Preparing for Difficult Conversations
- Explore Conflict Mindset Through Questions
- Listen to Understand
- Practice Constructive Conflict Behaviors
Solving Team Conflict
- Identify Different Problem-Solving Styles
- Build Consensus Through Conflict
- Explore Skills of Inquiry and Advocacy
Sustaining Your Conflict Competence
- Leverage Your Strengths in Conflict
- Engage in an Individualized Coaching Session
- Prepare an Action Plan for Increased Organizational Effectiveness
Why MCD at Eckerd College?
Reputation of Excellence
- Eckerd College Leadership Development Institute (LDI) has been a Network Associate of the renowned global training provider Center for Creative Leadership (CCL) since 1981 and has delivered internationally acclaimed programs to thousands of local, national and international clients.
- Since its inception, LDI has enjoyed a reputation for excellence and quality in education and training.
- Our senior faculty team consists of highly trained and experienced professionals with diverse business and academic backgrounds. They are content experts with advanced degrees and coaching credentials and are trained to work closely and collaboratively with individual leaders and within their organizational structures.
Why Attendees Chose Eckerd
Top Ranked Institution and World-Renowned Executive Education
- Eckerd College is one of The Princeton Review’s Best 387 Colleges (2022), a member of Phi Beta Kappa and one of 40 schools featured in the book Colleges That Change Lives.
- In addition to our designation as a CCL Network Associate, LDI is an Education Partner of the international association, the Society of Human Resource Management.
- Eckerd’s Certified Workplace Mediator and Trainer (CMT) program is accredited by the International Mediation Institute.
- LDI’s proprietary assessments the Conflict Dynamics Profile (CDP) and Entrepreneurial Mindset Profile (EMP) are utilized globally by over +4000 certified practitioners.
The Right Climate for Learning
- Eckerd College provides a world-class program in a world-class setting. The climate we’ve created for learning—one that is stimulating and challenging, yet relaxed and open-minded—is enhanced by our sunny, Florida location.
- The retreat-style setting of our waterfront training facility allows participants to escape the everyday rigors of work and focus on their professional development in a safe and supportive learning environment.
- In addition to Downtown St. Petersburg’s thriving arts, recreation and culinary scene complemented by the white sandy beaches of Florida’s Gulf Coast, our proximity to Tampa, Clearwater, Sarasota and Orlando make Eckerd College LDI a key destination for business travelers and their families.
High-Quality, Assessment-Based Program Content
- Rich, research-based content is focused on what matters most for first-time and front-line managers.
- Intense, personalized feedback gives participants an assessment of important competencies and a plan for learning.
- The interactive, hands-on format prepares participants to take action back at work. Coaching and take-home tools support newly enhanced skills of influencing, conflict resolution and communication.
- Participants consistently rate LDI programs 4.8 or higher on a 5-point scale in both value and enjoyment. Often, the ratings don’t even fully reflect the impact our programs have had on the individual lives and careers of attendees who have participated in LDI programs at Eckerd College.
- Low instructor/participant ratio: 1:10.
Keeping The Momentum Alive With Integrated Coaching
Post-program coaching sessions offer support, expertise, and accountability.
LDI Coaches Provide:
- One-on-one encouragement and feedback in a confidential, risk-free setting.
- Support to keep the development plan on track and achieve development goals.
- An opportunity to build on the program experience to apply new insights.
How to Initiate Integrated Coaching with LDI:
- Select an Integrated Coaching package.
- Complete payment through the Integrated Coaching Registration page.
- Your coach will contact you to schedule sessions after payment confirmation from LDI’s Client Relations Manager.
Integrated Coaching Fees:
- Offered at a reduced rate of $400 per hour.
- Minimum of three sessions at $1,200.
Any data resulting from this coaching process will be considered confidential. Neither the assigned coach nor anyone from the Leadership Development Institute will disclose any information resulting from the coaching and consultation sessions to anyone except for the individual client him or herself.
Further questions regarding Integrated Coaching can be directed to Wendy Godfrey at firstname.lastname@example.org or 727.864.8828.
Please note that all registrations are subject to LDI’s Refund Policy and Transfer & Substitution Policy.
Travel Information & Program Materials
- Eckerd College’s Location and Details on Travel Arrangements
- Proper Dress Attire for the Program
- Program Assessments and Pre-Work